Know that your “About Page” on your website is one of the most clicked on pages, but not sure how to write it?
Don’t worry, you’re not alone!
It’s hard to write your own About Page because:
- You want to highlight your awesomeness, but you don’t want to sound like you’re bragging,
- It’s hard to see your strengths and personality traits , because you’re too close to yourself, and
- It takes a decent chunk of time to look over your experience, skills, employment history, challenges and triumphs.
I love helping clients create About pages that shine online!
An About page that shines online will:
- Have your ideal client or customer saying to themselves, “Finally I’ve found the right person to work with!”
- Elevate you above the online noise, and
- Shine a light on your loveable quirks, your strengths and talents.
Here are some strategies to use when you’re writing your About Page.
When you’re writing your About Page, it’s helpful to spend some time researching what others are saying.
But please, don’t go down the “cut and paste / repurposing / changing a few sentences around” path to create your own About page!
As you look at what your competitors and colleagues have on their About pages, pay attention to:
- The tone of voice they’re using,
- The keywords and phrases they’ve used, and
- The type of client and customer they’re targeting with their copy.
2 Switch your focus from WHAT you do, to HOW you do it.
Your About page needs to indicate what you do, but focusing on this for the entire page will have people nodding off and clicking away.
It’s important to include your experience, qualifications and background as well as your point of difference. To find out how you’re different, consider:
- What your clients say about you and your business, and
- Ask them how you infuse your personality into your work.
3 Be congruent with your About Page and Bio information.
After you’ve written your About page, it’s important to check that it’s congruent with all your social media bios.
Your social media bios are like the tuxedo, new dress, fresh hairdo and high heels that you put on before you’ve got a big night out. Putting some effort into these will help you sparkle and shine online.
Check all your social media bios and ask yourself, “What type of image does this portray? Will this attract the type of clients I’d like to work with?”
Need some help with your About Page, fill in your contact details here and let’s chat!