Business Addicts Live Event – Melbourne, 2015
Last night I went to the first Business Addicts live event held at the Honey Bar, South Melbourne.
The Business Addicts podcast is one of the hottest new Australian business podcasts going around. It’s a collaboration between Loren Bartley from Impactiv8 and Fiona Redding from The Happiness Hunter. As they explain:
“Our podcast is for anyone that is addicted to business. We aim to help you as a fellow Business Addict build a business that supports a life that you love, rather than a business that controls your life!
We achieve this by providing a balance of strategies, tips and tools that will help both feed and manage your business addiction.
We feed your addiction by providing valuable content that will help improve your business and we help manage your addiction by providing equally valuable content that will help you better manage your life so that your business addiction doesn’t spiral out of control!
We have an amazing line up of guests on the show. Our guests will share their stories, provide advice and inspire you to better manage your life as a proud Business Addict.
As self-confessed business addicts, we are not perfect. In fact, we are on a journey of self-improvement ourselves, that’s why we started this podcast in the first place.”
The Business Addict podcast is on my ‘must listen to’ list every week. All of Loren and Fiona’s guests provide in depth details, tips and ‘AHA moments’ and last night we were all treated to some more pearls of wisdom.
The room was filled with friendly and passionate Business Addicts – from small business owners, to corporate workers to stay at home mum’s who are keen to create their own business.
Here’s some of the key take-aways…
I’ve seen James Tuckerman speak at a couple of conferences and have always been super impressed with his down to earth and practical approach to business. Plus, he’s just as fabulous in real life – genuine and friendly!
His Businesss Addicts podcast about content hacking can be found here.
James spoke last night about how to create and repurpose amazing online content. Here’s the take-aways:
- “The things that work well are blindingly obvious to me. Overthinking it all will never work…remember your target audience doesn’t know as much as you do, so keep it simple.”
- “If you’ve got a website that’s asking strangers to marry you on the first date, fix it up.” In other words, your first time visitors need to get to know you and your business before you can ask them to buy!
- “Get rid of all the ‘we’s’ from your website and replace it with ‘you’. E.g. we’re the experts in back care and rehabilitation becomes ‘do you suffer from back pain?”
- “Know your audience and ask them quality questions, ‘Does this sound familiar? You struggle to get out of bed in the morning because your back seizes up overnight.’
- “Always go back to your audience’s situation. What problems do they have? What solutions can you give them?”
I connected with David Hobson on LinkedIn after I listened to the Business Addicts fabulous podcast. Check it out here.
David Hobson is a Melbourne guy and one of the gurus of LinkedIn. He’s also released an amazing online training program for anyone wanting to leverage the power of LinkedIn.
It’s open for registration now – head here to get more details.
David’s as fabulous in real life as he is online. His energy and enthusiasm lit up the Honey Bar as he explained why LinkedIn is the smart way to network and form strategic alliances.
Here’s some of the take-aways:
- “If you want to build a strong business network, it makes sense to network face-to-face. But this takes time and energy and you can’t do it every day! And there’s some functions where ‘your people’ aren’t even there. LinkedIn can help you find ‘your people.’
- “Most people on LinkedIn have 500+ connections and CEO’s have around 900+ connections. The potential for finding strategic partnerships, employees, opportunities and alliances is amazing.”
- “Use LinkedIn as tool for collaboration – this shift in focus will take pressure off having to ‘pitch to people’
If you missed out on last night’s Business Addicts event, there will be more!
Want to make sure you’re kept in the loop? Head here to sign up for the Business Addicts newsletter.